Use only standard GL-5 hypoid type gear oil in the following viscosities (depending on the ambient temperature):Front Axle
If the vehicle is equipped with the optional limited slip differential rear axle, use GL-5 Limited Slip Differential Gear Lubricant or Friction Modifier Additive (Organic Additive) of the correct viscosity for the existing ambient temperatures (as listed above).
FLUID LEVEL CHECK
See Figure 1
With the vehicle parked on a level surface, remove the filler plug from the differential housing. Check to see if the fluid is level with the bottom of the filler hole. If the fluid is at the bottom edge of the filler plug hole, reinstall the plug. Otherwise add axle fluid through the filler plug opening until the fluid starts to trickle out of the filler plug hole.
DRAIN AND REFILL
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Raise and support the vehicle safely on jackstands as level as possible. Place a container under the differential carrier to catch the fluid.
- Make certain that the filler plug is removable (not rusted closed) by turning it loose. Be sure to do this before removing the drain plug. It would be extremely aggravating to drain the differential fluid only to discover that the filler plug required soaking with a penetrant oil overnight.
For vehicles with an axle drain plug, perform the following:
- Remove the drain plug.
- Remove the filler plug, if not already done. By first removing the drain plug, not as much oil will drain initially. This will help prevent any excessive spills while fine tuning'' the location of the catch pan.
- Allow the fluid to completely drain.
For vehicles without drain plugs, perform the following:
- Remove the bolts retaining the cover to the housing.
- Pry the cover from the differential housing and allow the fluid to drain into the catch pan. A suction pump can also be used to remove the fluid through the filler hole, if available.
- Clean and inspect the differential cover. With the cover and housing washed free of oil, apply sealer to the mating surfaces.
- Using a new gasket, install the cover and tighten the bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- If equipped, install the drain plug.
- Fill the differential with fluid through the filler plug hole until it starts to trickle out of the opening.
- Lower the vehicle and inspect for leaks.