REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
The back-up light switch is mounted on the right-hand side of the transmission housing body, just below the gear shift lever housing. This is a simple ON/OFF type switch.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle on jackstands.
- Detach the back-up switch connector from the vehicle wiring harness.
- Using either a wrench or a crow's foot'' socket and ratchet wrench, remove the switch from the transmission body. Draining the transmission is not necessary, since the switch is mounted above the fluid level; a little fluid may dribble out of the hole however.
- If the switch is going to be reinstalled, remove the used O-ring from it.
- If reinstalling the old back-up switch, install a new O-ring (the new switches should come with a new O-ring already installed.
- Apply liquid gasket to the threaded portion of the switch, then slowly thread the switch into the transmission housing by hand. Tighten it first finger-tight, then to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Attach the wiring harness to the back-up switch connector.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- While in the vehicle, apply the parking brake, start the engine, hold the service brake and shift the transmission into R . Have an assistant verify that the rear back-up lights illuminate.