Except 2.2L Engine
- Allow the engine to cool. Then, remove the fuel pump fuse from the fuse block or disconnect the fuel pump relay.
- Crank the engine; it will start and run until the fuel supply remaining in the fuel lines is exhausted. When the engine stops, engage the starter again for 3 seconds to assure dissipation of any remaining pressure.
- With the ignition OFF , reinstall the fuel pump fuse or connect the fuel pump relay.
A valve is provided on these fuel systems in order to conveniently test or release the fuel system pressure. A fuel pressure gauge and adapter will be necessary to connect to the fitting. The valve is located on the fuel feed inlet fitting, on the opposite end of the lower intake from the pressure regulator.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent fuel spillage if the ignition switch is accidentally turned ON while a fitting is still disconnected.
- Loosen the fuel filler cap to release the fuel tank pressure.
- Make sure the release valve on the fuel gauge is closed, then connect the fuel gauge to the pressure fitting located on the inlet fuel pipe fitting.
When connecting the gauge to the fitting, be sure to wrap a rag around the fitting to avoid spillage. After repairs, place the rag in an approved container.
- Install the bleed hose portion of the fuel gauge assembly into an approved container, then open the gauge release valve and bleed the fuel pressure from the system.
- When the gauge is removed, be sure to open the bleed valve and drain all fuel from the gauge assembly.