REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Raise and support the rear frame of the vehicle safely using jackstands. Support the rear axle with the second set of jackstands.
When supporting the rear of the vehicle, support the axle and the body separately in order to relieve the load on the rear spring.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the shock absorber.
- Remove the parking brake cable clips.
- Remove the spare tire, if mounted under the vehicle.
- Remove the nuts from the U-bolts holding the springs to the axle housing.
- Support the rear axle housing with jackstands and remove the front and rear shackle pin nuts.
- Drive out the rear shackle pin using a hammer and drift.
- Lower the rear end of the leaf spring assembly to the floor.
- Drive out the front shackle pin and remove the leaf spring assembly rearward.
- Remove the shackle pin from the rear spring bracket and remove the shackle.
- Check the leaf springs for worn or broken leaves. Replace any leaves found to be cracked, fatigued or seriously worn.
- Check the shackles for bending and the pins for wear.
- Check the U-bolts for distortion or other damage.
- Install the shackle to the rearward spring eye using the bolt, washers and nut, but do not fully tighten at this time.
- Position the spring assembly to the vehicle.
- Align the front end of the leaf spring assembly with the front bracket and install the shackle pin.
- Loosely install the shackle pin nuts and install the U-bolts. Tighten the U-bolt nuts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Clip the parking brake cable to the bracket.
- Remove the axle housing support and lower the vehicle so the weight is on the leaf springs.
- Tighten the shackle pin nuts to 130 ft. lbs. (176 Nm).
- Install the shock absorber.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.