The fuel filter is mounted on the right-hand side of the engine compartment, near the battery.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure. For more details refer to Fuel System .
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the water separator sensor wire (2) from the connector.
- Remove the rubber fuel lines (1) from the filter/separator assembly.
- Remove the two filter/separator assembly-to-bracket bolts (3).
When removing the fuel filter, be careful not to spill the fuel from the cartridge.
- Remove the lower plug (4) from the filter/separator assembly and drain the residual fuel into a small container, then pull the sensor assembly (5) off the filter/separator.
- Remove the O-ring (6) from the filter/separator cartridge.
- Remove the filter/separator cartridge (7) from the cartridge adapter. Discard the used cartridge.
- Lubricate the new sensor O-ring with diesel fuel and install the sensor onto the cartridge.
- Lubricate the cartridge O-ring with diesel fuel. Install the cartridge until the O-ring contacts the sealing surface face, then tighten the cartridge an additional 2 / 3 of a turn with a filter wrench.
- Position the filter/separator assembly against the mounting bracket with the attaching holes aligned, then install the mounting bolts until snug.
- Attach the electrical wiring harness connector to the sensor.
- Install the rubber hose onto the filter/separator and the adapter assembly.
- Depress the priming pump, located on top of the cartridge, 30-40 times to fill the cartridge with fuel.
The pumping force will increase as the filter/separator becomes filled.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for fuel leaks around the sealing joints (hose ends, filter/separator-to-adapter and drain plug).
See Figure 2
- Position a 1 pt. (approximately 0.2L) container at the end of the vinyl hose, located under the drain plug of the separator.
- Loosen the drain plug 5 turns.
- Depress the priming pump about 7-8 times until the water is drained from the filter.
- Tighten the drain plug until closed.
- Depress the priming pump several additional times to check that no fuel leaks out of the fuel filter/separator assembly.
- Start the engine and, once again, check for leakage around the drain plug.
- Make sure the FILTER warning light remains out or turns off.