See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Check to see if the notched lines on the injection pump and mounting plate are aligned.
- Bring the No. 1 piston to Top Dead Center (TDC) on the compression stroke by turning the crankshaft. The correct notch must be used for alignment as the damper pulley is provided with a total of seven notches.
- Remove the front upper timing belt cover, then check the timing belt for proper tension and alignment of the timing marks.
- Remove the rocker arm cover and rear camshaft plug, then check that fixing plate J-29761, or equivalent, fits smoothly into the slit at the rear end of the camshaft, then remove the fixing plate.
- Disconnect the injection pipe from the injection pump and remove the distributor head screw and gasket, then install a static timing gauge. Set the lift about 0.040 in. (1mm) from the plunger.
- Bring the piston in No. 1 cylinder to a point 45°-60° before TDC by turning the crankshaft, then calibrate the dial indicator to zero.