REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The Air Bag system must be disabled before the steering wheel and ignition switch are removed. Failure to disable the system may result in system repairs and possible personal injury. Do not damage, cut, or attempt to alter the yellow Air Bag wiring harness.
- Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's front wheels are pointing straight ahead.
- Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position. Remove the key.
- Disconnect the negative, then positive battery cables.
- If equipped, disarm the Air Bag system. Matchmark and remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the lower dashboard cover and disconnect the dimmer switch, if installed in this panel.
- Remove the upper and lower steering column covers. Be careful with the wiring harness that runs through the lower cover; it may contain the Air Bag wiring.
- Unscrew and remove the combination switch and Air Bag cable reel assembly, if equipped. The switch and cable reel assembly cannot be disassembled.
- If equipped with an automatic transmission, disconnect the shift lock cable from the ignition lock cylinder.
- Unscrew the ignition switch from the lock body and disconnect the wiring harness from the fuse box.
- Unbolt the ignition lock cylinder from the steering column. Remove the snapring and the bushing to remove the lock cylinder from the steering column.
- Install the lock cylinder to the steering column. Install and evenly tighten the bolts. Install a new bushing and snapring.
- Reconnect the starter switch to the lock cylinder. Connect the wiring.
- Connect the A/T shift lock cable to the ignition switch using a new lock pin.
- Install the combination switch and cable reel assembly. Reconnect the switch harnesses.
- Install the lower steering column cover, making sure that the Air Bag wiring, if equipped, is routed correctly and not pinched. Install the upper steering column cover.
- Reconnect the dimmer switch, if removed, and install the dashboard lower cover.
Check the alignment of the Air Bag cable reel, if equipped;
- Turn the cable reel clockwise to the fully locked position. Don't turn the cable reel past the point at which you begin to feel resistance to rotation.
- Turn the cable reel about three turns in the opposite direction until the pointer on the cable reel is alignment with the neutral mark.
- Install the steering.
- Reconnect the battery cables, starting with the positive cable, then the negative.
- Turn the ignition to the ON position, but don't start the engine. The AIR BAG warning light should turn on and flash on and off for seven seconds, and then turn off. This indicator light sequence indicates that the Air Bag system is functioning normally. If the AIR BAG light doesn't come on, or stays on longer than seven seconds, the system must be diagnosed.
- Check the operation of the ignition switch and combination switch controls.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Matchmark and remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the turn signal switch from the column. The assembly can hang from the wires, if needed. For details, please refer to the procedure located earlier in this section.
- Remove the buzzer switch assembly.
- Carefully remove the lock cylinder screw, then remove the lock cylinder. If possible, use a magnetic tipped screwdriver on the screw in order to help prevent the possibility of dropping it.
- Align and install the lock cylinder.
- Push the lock cylinder all the way in, then carefully install the retaining screw. Tighten the screw to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm) on tilt columns or to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm) on standard non-tilt columns.
- Install the buzzer switch assembly.
- Reposition and secure the turn signal switch assembly
- Align and install the steering wheel.
- Make sure the ignition is OFF , then connect the negative battery cable.