REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disarm the Air Bag, if equipped.
- Make sure the ignition is in the LOCK position.
With the ignition in the locked position, the steering lock assembly cannot be removed.
- Remove the steering column trim panels.
- Matchmark the relationship of the universal joint between the steering rack and steering shaft. Remove the universal joint nut/bolt, then separate the joint from the shaft.
- If applicable, disconnect the shift indicator cable from the shift bowl.
- If necessary, remove the steering wheel. Unscrew and remove the combination switch and Air Bag cable reel assembly, if equipped.
- Disconnect the dimmer switch, if installed below the steering column.
- Label and disconnect any remaining wiring at the column.
- Remove the bolts from the column floor/toe plate, if installed, and the upper steering column retainer bolts.
- Remove the column support bracket-to-instrument panel retainers, then carefully lower the column for access to the wiring.
Once the steering column has been removed from the vehicle, be careful not to drop it (especially on the end), lean on it or damage it in any way; the column is very susceptible to damage.
- Remove the column from the vehicle. Rotate the column so the shift lever clears the cowl opening.
- Position the steering column in the vehicle while carefully guiding the lower end through the cowl.
- Engage the electrical wiring connectors to the column.
- Raise the column into position and connect the shift indicator cable to the bowl (if equipped) then loosely install the column bracket-to-instrument panel retainers bolts.
- Loosely install the column floor/toe plate retainers, if installed.
- Align and connect the universal joint to the steering shaft. Check the U-joint operating angle, it MUST no exceed 12.5 degrees. Install the retainer nut/bolt and tighten to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm) for 1981-92 models, 45 ft. lbs. (62 Nm) for 1993-96 vehicles.
- Tighten the column retainers. The floor/toe retainers should be tightened to 120 inch lbs. (13 Nm), the column bracket bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) and the column bracket-to-instrument panel retainers to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) for all 1981-93 models. On 1994-96 models, the bracket nuts should be tightened to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- If equipped with a column mounted shifter, connect the transmission control linkage to the column shift tube levers, then check and adjust the shift indicator cable, as necessary.
- If removed, align and install the steering wheel.
- If applicable, install the steering column trim panel.
- Make sure the ignition is OFF , then connect the negative battery cable.