Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front driveshaft.
Put a matching mark on the end of the drive pinion corresponding to the B position matching mark on the final drive companion flange.
CAUTIONUse paint for the matching mark; never damage drive pinion. The matching mark B on the final drive companion flange indicates the maximum vertical run out position.
- Using the drive pinion flange wrench. Remove the drive pinion locknut with tool number: KV40104000 or equivalent.
- Remove the companion flange using a puller (commercial service tool).
- Remove the front oil seal using outer race puller ST33290001 (J34286) or equivalent.
Apply multi-purpose grease to the sealing lips of the oil seal. Drive the oil seal into the differential case using special service tools ST33400001 (J26082) and KV38102510 or equivalents so that the oil seal is flush with the gear carrier end.
NOTEWhen installing the front oil seal, be careful not to get it inclined.
- Discard the old front oil seal. Always replace it with a new one.
- Install the companion flange while aligning the matching mark of the drive pinion with the matching mark B of the companion flange.
- Apply oil to the drive pinion threads and the seating surface of the drive pinion locknut.
Using the drive pinion flange wrench KV40104000 or equivalent. Install the drive pinion locknut with the tool. Tighten to 94 - 181 ft. lbs. (127 - 245 Nm).
CAUTIONDo not reuse the drive pinion locknut. Always replace it with a new one.
- Install the front driveshaft.