Before servicing, or working around, the SRS system, turn the ignition switch OFF, disconnect both battery cables and wait at least three minutes. When servicing, or working around, the SRS system do not work directly in front of the air bag module.
Care must be taken not to give axial impact to the steering column assembly during removal and installation. Be sure not to move the steering gear during removal and installation of the steering column.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the positive battery cable.
- Remove the side lids (retaining screw covers) from the air bag module. Remove the left and right air bag module retaining bolts.
- Lift up the air bag module. Disconnect the air bag harness connector.
Remove the air bag module from its mounting.
NOTETo unlock the connector insert a thin flat bladed tool wrapped in tape into the notch, lift the lock and remove the connector.
- Disconnect the steering switch connector, remove the steering wheel locknut.
- Install the steering wheel puller tool. Remove the steering wheel from the steering column.
- Remove the steering column cover.
- Remove the spiral cable assembly.
- Remove the combination switches.
- Remove the lower driver instrument panel, driver-s side.
- Remove the combination meter.
- Remove the fixing bolts of the knee protector. Remove the knee protector.
- Disconnect the harness connector from each switch on the steering column shaft, then separate the vehicle side harness from it.
Remove the locknut and bolt. Separate the lower ball joint from the upper steering column joint.
- Remove the mounting nuts from the steering member. Remove the steering column assembly from the steering member.
- Remove the hole cover seal and clamp.
- Remove the mounting nuts. Remove the hole cover from the dash panel.
Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the mounting bolt (lower side) of the lower joint and remove the lower joint and the steering column from the vehicle.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
NOTEWhen installing the steering column, finger tighten all of the lower bracket and joint retaining bolts; then tighten them to specification (see illustration for torque specifications). Do not apply undue stress to the steering column.
- After installation turn the steering wheel to make sure that it moves freely. Make sure that the number of turns are the same from the straight-forward position to the left and right locks.
- Make sure that the steering wheel is in the neutral position when driving straight ahead.
- When installing the steering column to the steering member, install the mounting nut from the front side of the vehicle.
- After installing the steering column, check the tilt device and its operation, see illustration
Check if the steering wheel operation can turn to the end of the left and right stops smoothly, correct as required.