- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the positive battery cable.
- Remove the side lids (retaining screw covers) from the air bag module. Remove the left and right air bag module retaining bolts.
- Lift up the air bag module. Disconnect the air bag harness connector.
Remove the air bag module from its mounting.
NOTETo unlock the connector insert a thin flat bladed tool wrapped in tape into the notch, lift the lock and remove the connector.
- Disconnect the steering switch connector, remove the steering wheel locknut.
Install the steering wheel puller tool. Remove the steering wheel from the steering column.
NOTEPlace a piece of tape across the spiral cable so it will not be rotated out of position.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
If disturbed, be sure to align the spiral cable correctly when installing the steering wheel. Make sure that the spiral cable is in the neutral position.
NOTEThe neutral position is detected by turning to the left 2.5 revolutions from the right end position and ending with the knob at the top. The spiral cable may snap due to steering operation if the cable is installed incorrectly. Also, with the steering linkage disconnected the cable may snap by turning the steering wheel beyond the limited number of turns (2.5 from the neutral position to both the left and right).
- Tighten the steering wheel retaining nut to 25 ft. lbs.
When reinstalling the air bag module, be sure to use new bolts. Tighten the bolts to 8 ft. lbs.