Removal & Installation
- Make sure the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
Make sure the ignition is
, then disconnect the negative battery cable, then the positive battery cable and wait at least 3 minutes before proceeding.
CAUTIONWhen removing the air bag module, always work from the side of the module, never directly in front of it.
Remove the lower lid (cover) from the steering wheel, and disconnect air bag module connector.
- Remove the side lids (covers), ASCD steering switch and audio steering switch.
Use a TAMPER RESISTANT TORX® (Size T50), remove the left and right special bolts. You can now remove the driver-s side air bag module.
CAUTIONWhen handling the air bag module, note the following:
Always place air bag module with pad side facing upward.
- Make sure the steering wheel is in the neutral position (wheels straight ahead).
- Detach the horn connector and remove the nuts.
- Remove the dynamic damper.
Use a suitable steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel. Be careful not to over-tighten the puller bolt on steering wheel.
WARNINGDo not tap or bump the steering wheel or column.
- Remove steering column cover.
Unlock the spiral cable connector. Then, detach the connectors, remove the four screws and remove the spiral cable.
WARNINGDo not attempt to disassemble spiral cable. Never apply lubricant to the spiral cable.
- Remove the combination switch.
- Install the combination switch.
Make sure that the spiral cable is in the neutral position. The neutral position is detected by turning left about 2.5 revolutions from the right end position. Align the two arrow marks.
WARNINGThe spiral cable may snap due to steering operation if the cable is installed in an improper position. Also, with the steering linkage disconnected, the cable may snap by turning the steering wheel beyond the limited number of turns. The spiral cable can be turned to the left about 2.5 turns from the right end position.
- Connect the spiral cable connector and tighten with screws. Install the steering column cover.
- Install the steering wheel, aligning with spiral cable pin guides, and pull the spiral cable through.
- Attach the horn connector and engage spiral cable with pawls in steering wheel. Move air bag module connector away from the steering wheel lower lid opening.
- Tighten the nut to 22 - 28 ft. lbs. (29 - 39 Nm)
- Install the dynamic damper.
- Position air bag module and tighten with new special bolts.
- Connect air bag module connector.
- Install steering switches and covers.
- Connect the positive, then the negative battery cables.
- Use a CONSULT-II or equivalent scan tool (or warning lamp) check to perform a self-diagnosis to make sure the SRS system is operating properly(Use CONSULT-II or warning lamp check.)
- Turn steering wheel to the left end and then to the right end fully to make sure that spiral cable is set in the neutral position. If air bag warning lamp blinks or stays ON (at the user mode), it shows the spiral cable may be snapped due to its improper position. Perform self-diagnosis again (use CONSULT-II or warning lamp). If a malfunction is detected, replace the spiral cable with a new one.
- Perform another self-diagnosis to make sure no malfunctions are detected.