- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the positive battery cable.
- Remove the spiral cable assembly.
- Remove the combination switches.
- Remove the tilt lever knob from the tilt lever by inserting a suitable tool into the slot of the tilt lever, then depress the tab and withdraw the tilt lever knob.
- Remove the lower driver instrument panel.
- Remove the steering column cover and ignition key finisher.
- Remove the retaining screws of the knee protector. Remove the knee protector.
- Remove the locknut and bolt. Separate the lower ball joint from the upper steering column joint.
- Remove the mounting nuts from the steering member. Remove the steering column assembly from the steering member.
- Remove the hole cover seal and clamp.
- Remove the mounting nuts. Remove the hole cover from the dash panel.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the mounting bolt (lower side) of the lower joint and remove the lower joint and steering column from the vehicle.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
NOTEWhen installing the steering column, finger tighten all of the lower bracket and joint retaining bolts; then tighten them to specification (see illustration for torque specifications). Do not apply undue stress to the steering column.
Align the slit of the coupling joint with the projection on the dust cover. Insert the joint until surface A contacts surface B.
- After installation turn the steering wheel to make sure that it moves freely. Make sure that the number of turns are the same from the straight-forward position to the left and right locks.
- Make sure that the steering wheel is in the neutral position when driving straight ahead.
- When installing the steering column to the steering member, install the mounting nut from the front side of the vehicle.
- After installing the steering column, check the tilt device and its operation. Range A should be 2.41 inch.
Check if the steering wheel operation can turn to the end of the left and right stops smoothly, correct as required.