REMOVAL & INSTALLATION Manual Transaxle
On vehicles equipped with manual transaxles, the back-up light switch is located on the top of the transaxle gear case. The switch looks similar to a large nut with two wires protruding from it. The switch is not adjustable.
- Detach the electrical connector at the switch.
- Loosen and remove the switch by turning it counterclockwise.
When replacing the switch always use a new sealing washer.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
On vehicles with automatic transaxles, the back-up light switch is located on the right side of the transaxle, under a protective cover. The switch is actually a combination switch for the neutral safety circuit, gear shift indicator and back-up lights. The switch is adjustable.
- Set the parking brake and place the transaxle in Neutral.
- Remove the protective cover for the switch.
- Detach the electrical connector for the switch.
- Loosen the switch mounting bolts, and remove the switch by lifting it away from the transaxle.
- Make sure the transmission is in Neutral.
- Set the switch such that it is in the neutral position. The switch will click when it is in the neutral position.
The remainder of the installation is the reverse of removal, making sure of the following:
- Turn the ignition switch ON and move the gear selector from position to position making sure all the gear indicator lights work properly.
- Then place the gear selector in the Reverse position and verify that the reverse lights are functioning.
- Next test to make sure the engine will start in the Neutral and Park positions, but will NOT start in any other position. If, necessary, adjust the switch as needed.