REMOVAL & INSTALLATION CRV Models
The tailgate door lock works in conjunction with the latch stop. The purpose of the latch stop is to not allow the tailgate to be opened unless the rear window is opened first. When the tailgate key lock is turned, the rear window is unlatched. Once the window is raised, the tailgate door handle that is concealed by the license plate trim can be lifted to open the tailgate. When the window is closed, part of the window frame pushes against the latch stop, preventing the tailgate door handle from moving to open the tailgate latch.
- Remove the tailgate interior trim panel.
- Remove the license plate.
- Remove the license plate trim, by removing the four 8mm nuts and releasing the center clip.
- Disconnect the door handle lock rod clip at the upper latch stop.
- Remove the latch stop and tailgate door latch fasteners and move the latch stop and door latch downward.
- Measure the amount the lock rod protrudes through the latch stop rod clip, and write it down.
- Using a diagonal cutting pliers, carefully pry the latch rod clip from the latch stop assembly.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, making sure to use a new latch stop rod clip installed to the measurement taken during disassembly.