The 2.2L DOHC engine is equipped with hydraulic lash adjusters. No valve adjustment is necessary.3.2L Engine
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
- Remove the valve covers.
Check the valve clearance with the camshafts positioned as shown. Intake valve clearance should be 0.0091-0.0130 in. (0.2311-0.3302mm). Exhaust valve clearance should be 0.0098-0.0138 in. (0.2489-0.3505mm).
If adjustment is required, replace the shims as follows:
- Step 1: Position special tool J-42689 on the edge of the tappet.
- Step 2: Rotate the crankshaft until the maximum lift portion of the camshaft lobe contacts the upper edge of the special tool and presses the tappet down to create enough clearance between the adjustment shim and the camshaft for the shim to be removed.
- Step 3: Replace shims as necessary to achieve correct valve clearance.
Step 4: Repeat for each valve to be adjusted.
- Replace the valve covers. Tighten the bolts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).