Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the brake caliper, as outlined in the Brakes Section.
- Remove the hub assembly, as outlined in the Wheel Bearing Procedure.
- Remove tie-rod end from the knuckle.
- Remove the speed sensor from the knuckle.
- Loosen the torsion bar by height control arm adjust bolt, then remove torsion bar.
- Remove the wheel speed sensor.
Remove the back plate.
WARNINGWhen separating the ball joints, be careful not to damage the ball joint boot.
Remove the lower ball joint using remover J-29107, or equivalent tool. 901RW163
Remove the upper ball joint using remover J-36831, or equivalent tool.
- Remove knuckle assembly.
- On 4WD models, remove the oil seal.
- On 4WD models, remove the washer.
On 4WD models, remove the needle bearing using remover J-23907, or equivalent tool.(Except 2WD model).
On 4WD models, apply a suitable amount of multipurpose type grease to the new bearing (Approx. 5 g) and install needle bearing by using installer J-36838 and J-8092, or equivalent tools
- On 4WD models, apply multipurpose type grease to the thrust washer, and install washer with chamfered side facing knuckle.
On 4WD models, use a new oil seal, and apply multipurpose type grease to the area surrounded by the lip (approx. 2 g). Then use installer J-36837 and J-8092 to install oil seal. After fitting the oil seal to the installer, drive it to the knuckle using a hammer or bench press until the tool front face contacts with the thrust washer.
- Install the knuckle assembly.
- Install upper ball joint and tighten the nut to 72 ft. lbs. (98 Nm). If necessary, tighten the nut with just enough additional torque to align cotter pin holes. Install new cotter pin.
- Install lower ball joint and tighten the nut to 108 ft. lbs. (147 Nm). If necessary, tighten then nut with just enough additional torque to align cotter pin holes. Install new cotter pin.
- Install the back plate.
- Install the wheel speed sensor.
- Install the torsion bar.
- Adjust the trim height.