- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Disconnect the radiator hoses and remove the radiator (RWD only).
- Remove the alternator and compressor drive belts.
- Remove the cooling fan.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley center bolt, the pulley and balancer assembly.
- Using a small pry bar and care not to damage the crankshaft and cover sealing surfaces, carefully, pry out the timing cover seal.
- Using engine oil, lubricate the new seal and tap it into the front cover.
- Install the balancer assembly, the pulley and the center bolt.
- Install the cooling fan and the drive belts.
- Install the radiator and connect the hoses.
- Refill the cooling system and connect the negative battery cable.