- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
- Remove the upper and lower timing belt covers.
- Rotate the crankshaft to align the camshaft sprocket with the mark on the rear timing cover and the crankshaft sprocket keyway with the mark on the oil seal retainer cover.
- Loosen the timing belt tensioner and relax the tension and remove the timing belt from the crankshaft sprocket.
- Remove the crankshaft sprocket bolt, the sprocket, the key and deflector shield.
- Using a small pry bar, pry the oil seal from the oil seal retainer.
- Using a new oil seal, lubricate it with engine oil and tap it into the retainer with an oil seal installation tool.
- Install the deflector, the key, the crankshaft sprocket and bolt.
- With the crankshaft sprocket aligned with the timing mark, install the timing belt.
- Apply the tensioner pulley spring pressure to the timing belt.
- Rotate the crankshaft 2 complete revolutions in the opposite direction of rotation and realign the timing marks.
- Loosen the tensioner pulley bolt to allow the spring to adjust the correct tension. Torque the tensioner pulley bolt to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Install the timing covers and the crankshaft pulley.
- To complete the installation, reverse the removal procedures.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the timing belt.
- Remove the crankshaft sprocket bolt.
- Using a puller tool press the crankshaft center and timing sprocket from the crankshaft.
- Remove the oil seal retainer-to-rear timing cover bolts and the retainer.
- Using a small pry bar, pry the oil seal from engine housing; be careful not to damage the crankshaft or the oil seal mounting surface.
- Using a new oil seal, lubricate the seal lips with engine oil and install it into the engine using a seal installation tool.
- Install the oil seal retainer.
- Install the crankshaft center and timing sprocket to the crankshaft.
- Install the timing belt.
- Refill the cooling system. Start the engine, check and/or adjust the timing and check for leaks.