C223 Diesel Engine
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine from the vehicle as outlined in this Section.
- Remove the rocker arm cover and rocker arm assembly.
- Label and remove the pushrods.
- Remove the tappet chamber cover and oil feed pipe.
- Remove the camshaft oil seal retainer.
- Remove the timing pulley housing.
- Remove the camshaft as outlined in this Section.
- Remove and label the tappets.
- Install the tappets into their original locations.
- Install the camshaft as outlined in this Section.
- Install the timing pulley housing.
- Install the camshaft oil seal retainer.
- Install the tappet chamber cover and oil feed pipe.
- Install the pushrods into their original locations.
- Install the rocker arm assembly and cover.
- Install the engine into the vehicle as outlined in this Section.
- Connect the negative (-) battery cable, refill all engine fluids, start the engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the intake manifold and valve cover. Label and remove the rocker arms and remove the push rods.
- Remove the lifters. If they are coated with varnish, clean with carburetor cleaning solvent.
- If installing new lifters or you have disassembled the lifters, they must be primed before installation. Submerge the lifters in SAE 10 oil and carefully push down on the plunger with a 3mm ( 1 / 8 in.) drift. Hold the plunger down (DO NOT pump), then release the plunger slowly. The lifter is now primed.
- Coat the bottoms of the lifters with Molykoteand#x00AE; (assembly lube) before installation. Install the lifters and pushrods into the engine in their original position.
- Install the rocker arms and adjust the valves as outlined in .