- Remove the transmission as previously described in this Section.
- Mark the clutch assembly position on the flywheel with paint or a scribe.
- Install clutch aligning tool J24547 or equivalent and remove the pressure plate retaining bolts. Remove the clutch assembly.
- Remove the release bearing-to-yoke retaining springs, and then remove the release bearing with its support.
- Remove the release yoke from the transmission ball stud.
- Wash all metal parts of the clutch assembly, except the release bearing and friction plate in suitable cleaning solution.
- Inspect all parts for wear or deep scoring. Replace any parts that show excessive wear.
Due to clutch friction, the engine flywheel becomes scored. Putting a new clutch with an old flywheel can cause chatter and premature clutch plate wear. It is good insurance to remove the flywheel and have it resurfaced at a qualified machine shop. You have spent a lot of time removing the clutch assembly and you do not want to do it twice.
- Lubricate the ball stud when installing the release yoke. Align the clutch with scribe marks and use an aligning tool to assure proper positioning of the clutch.
- Apply grease and install the release yoke to the transmission ball stud.
- Install the release bearing-to-yoke retaining springs and release bearing.
- Install the clutch aligning tool J24547 or equivalent and install the driven disc, pressure plate and retaining bolts to the marked position.
- Install the transmission as previously described in this Section.