P'up, Amigo, Trooper and Rodeo
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect the front driveshaft from the differential.
- Remove the wheels and skid plate.
- Loosen the torsion bar completely with the height control adjusting bolts.
- Remove the strut bars.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bars from the lower control arms.
- Remove the caliper assemblies and wire them to the frame; do not disconnect the brake lines.
- Remove the ball joints from the tie rods.
- Disconnect the upper control arms from the frame; make sure to note the number and positions of the shims.
- Remove the steering link ends from the lower control arms.
- Disconnect the shock absorbers from the lower control arms.
- Disconnect the lower control arms from the frame.
- Remove the locking hub.
- Remove the rotors and upper links.
- Remove the pitman arm and idler arm along with the steering linkage assembly.
- Support the differential housing and lower it clear of the vehicle. Take care to avoid damaging the Birfield joints.
- Drain the differential case and remove the 4 bolts attaching the axle mounting bracket to the case.
- Pull the shaft assemblies from the case on both sides.
- Install the axle assembly and 4 bolts attaching the axle mounting bracket to the case.
- Install the pitman arm and idler arm along with the steering linkage assembly.
- Install the rotors and upper links.
- Install the locking hub.
- Connect the lower control arms to the frame.
- Connect the shock absorbers to the lower control arms.
- Install the steering link ends to the lower control arms.
- Connect the upper control arms to the frame; make sure to note the number and positions of the shims.
- Install the ball joints to the tie rods.
- Install the caliper assemblies.
- Connect the stabilizer bars to the lower control arms.
- Install the strut bars.
- Tighten the torsion bar completely with the height control adjusting bolts to their original position.
- Install the wheels and skid plate.
- Connect the front driveshaft to the differential.
- Lower the vehicle and check operation. Refill the differential with fluid. Bleed the brake system if needed.
Refer to the "Halfshaft" procedures in this Section.CV-JOINT OVERHAUL
Double Offset Joint
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Clean the assembly of all grease and dirt.
- Remove the inner joint boot clamps. Slide the boot off of the joint.
- From inside the inner joint, remove the circular clip from inside the offset joint. Pull the joint and shaft off of the inner joint.
- Remove the ball retainer snapring and ball retainer. Pull the ball retainer and ball book from the splined shaft.
- Remove the boots and vibration damper, if so equipped.
The outer (Birfield) joint is not serviceable, it must be replaced as an assembly.
- Clean all grease and dirt from the joints.
- With the Birfield joint bent at a 40and#x00B0; angle, turn the shaft and make sure that it turns smoothly and normally.
- Place tap on the splines to prevent damage to the joint boots.
- Install the outer boot and clamps onto the outer shaft.
- Fill the joint and boot with new CV-joint grease and install new clamps.
- Install the inner joint boot and vibration damper, if so equipped.
- Install the ball retainer, guide and snapring.
- Fill the boot and off-set joint with new grease and install joint.
- Install the circular clip into the groove.
- Slide the boot onto the joint, insert a tool under the boot lip to allow the pressure to equalize and tighten the new clamps.
- Install the shaft into the vehicle as outlined in this Section.