- Rotate the engine and bring up the No. 1 cylinder to top dead center of its compression stroke.
To bring the engine to TDC of the No. 1 compression stroke, remove the spark plug for the No. cylinder. With the engine cool, turn the crankshaft over until compression is forced out of the spark plug hole. Watch the crankshaft damper while feeling for compression. When compression is felt, align the mark on the crankshaft damper with the Oand#x00B0; mark on the timing cover.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect and tag (if necessary) all the electrical connectors along with the spark plug wires from the distributor.
- Disconnect the wiring harness from the distributor lead wire. Disconnect the vacuum hoses from the vacuum advance if so equipped.
- Using a scribe tool or a marker, scribe or mark an alignment mark on the base of the distributor and the cylinder head or engine block. Also mark the position of the rotor to the distributor housing. This can be used for an easier installation procedure.
- Remove the distributor clamp bolt and bracket and lift out the distributor assembly from the engine cylinder head. Remove the distributor housing seal and discard it. Lubricate the new seal with clean engine oil prior to installation.
- Install the distributor assembly into the cylinder block, be sure to align the scribe marks made previously. Lightly tighten the distributor mounting bolt.
- Connect the wiring harness to the distributor lead wire. Connect the vacuum hoses to the vacuum controller.
- Connect all the electrical connectors along with the spark plug wires to the distributor.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine, set the timing and check the idle speed as outlined in . Tighten the distributor mounting bolt.
Disconnecting the negative battery cable on some vehicles may interfere with the functions of the on board computer systems and may require the computer to undergo a relearning process, once the negative battery cable is reconnected.
- If the engine was disturbed while the distributor was removed, remove the No. 1 spark plug.
- Rotate the crankshaft in the normal direction of rotation until compression is felt at the spark plug hole.
- Continue rotating the engine in the same direction while observing the timing marks at the indicator line up when No. 1 cylinder is at TDC.
- Install the distributor and align the rotor with the No. 1 lug on the distributor cap.
- Check and/or adjust the ignition timing when finished.