G180Z and G200Z
Using an ohmmeter, check the resistance at the connector. The reading should be between 140 and 19180 ohms.I-Mark Non-Turbo
- Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.
- Disconnect the ignition coil terminals.
- Using a suitable ohmmeter, measure the pick-up coil resistance between the 2 pick-up coil terminals.
- The standard resistance should be 140 and 19180 ohms. If the resistance is not within specification, check the wiring and connectors. Replace the pick-up coil if found defective.
- Disconnect the pick-up coil wiring.
- Switch the ohmmeter to the middle ohms scale.
- Measure the coil resistance between either of the pick-up coil leads and the housing. Infinite resistance should be read.
- Connect the ohmmeter probes across the coil leads and measure the resistance. It should read 500 and 191000 ohms. Flex the lead wires by hand at the coil and connector by hand to check for intermittent opens in the wiring.
- If the resistance readings are not within specifications, replace the coil.
Early Model Engines
Using a feeler gauge, measure the air gap between the pick-up coil projection. Loosen the two screws and move the igniter until the gap is at 0.008 and 190.016 in. (0.2 and 190.4mm). Tighten the screws and install cap.
Inspect the air gap, by using a non-magnetic feeler gauge. Measure the gap between the signal rotor and the pick-up coil projection. You should be able to insert the feeler gauge with a slight drag. The air gap should be 0.008 and 190.0016 in. (0.2 and 190.4mm).