- Loosen the front wheel lug nuts, raise and support the front of the vehicle safely and remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the brake hose clip-to-strut bolt (if so equipped). Install a drive axle cover, to protect the axle boot.
- Remove the bolts attaching the strut to the steering knuckle.
- Remove the two strut tower nuts and remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Install the strut assembly and two strut tower nuts.
- Install the bolts attaching the strut to the steering knuckle.
- Install the brake hose clip-to-strut bolt (if so equipped).
- Install the front wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- The two strut tower nuts must be tightened before the lower strut bolts. The strut tower nuts should be torqued to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm) and the lower strut bolts should be torqued to 86 ft. lbs. (117 Nm).
- Disconnect the flexible brake hose from the strut.
- Disconnect the speed sensor from the strut, if equipped with ABS.
- Remove the knuckle-to-strut bolts.
- Open the hood and remove the three upper mount nuts.
- Remove the strut assembly.
- Install the strut and three upper nuts. Torque the nuts to 58 ft. lbs. (78 Nm).
- Install the knuckle-to-strut bolts with new lock nuts. Torque to 115 ft. lbs. (156 Nm).
- Install the brake hose and bleed the system as outlined in the Brake section.
The MacPherson strut and spring are under extreme pressure! NEVER remove the center strut nut without first installing an approved MacPherson strut spring compressor! Severe personal injury may result if this procedure is not followed correctly!
- Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle and place in holding fixture.
- Remove the cap from the upper mount to expose the center nut. DO NOT remove at this time.
- Install an approved MacPherson strut spring compressor to the spring. DO NOT over compress the spring! Compress far enough to release the pressure from the spring seat.
- After compressing the spring, remove the center nut, upper mount, spring seat, rubber and spring.
- Remove the cushion and lower rubber from the strut.
- Check the strut for oil leaks, coil spring for cracks and distortion and upper mount bearing for abnormal noise and defective turning. Replace components if damage is found.
- Install the cushion and lower rubber to the strut.
- Install the spring, rubber, upper mount and center nut after compressing the spring.
- Install the cap to the upper mount to expose the center nut. Remove the spring compressor after releasing the pressure.
- Install the strut assembly to the vehicle.