RWD I-Mark and Impulse
- Raise the car and support it safely. Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the upper brake caliper bolt and slide the brake hose retainer clip back about 1 / 2 in. (13mm).
- Remove the lower shock bolt and push the shock absorber up.
- Place a hydraulic jack under the control arm on the outer extreme and raise the control arm until it is level.
- Loosen the upper ball joint lock nut until the top of the nut is flush with the top of the ball joint. Disconnect the upper ball joint from the steering knuckle using tool J26407 or equivalent.
- Disconnect and remove the through bolt connecting the upper control arm to the crossmember. Remove the upper control arm.
- Install the upper control arm and install the through bolt connecting the upper control arm to the crossmember. Do NOT tighten at this time.
- Install the upper ball joint lock nut until the cotter pin slot is in alignment. Torque the bolt to 20 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) and install a new cotter pin.
- Install the lower shock bolt.
- Install the upper brake caliper bolt and slide the brake hose retainer clip into retainer.
- Install the front wheel and lower the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. On installation, make sure the smaller washer is on the inner face of the front arm and larger washer is on the inner face of the rear arm.
- With the vehicle resting on the suspension torque the upper control arm through bolt to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).
- Raise and safely support the vehicle on the lower control arms.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the cotter pin nut fastening the upper control arm and upper ball joint assembly and disconnect the upper control arm from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the bolts from the upper pivot shaft and remove the upper control arm from the bracket. Be sure to note the position and number of shims used for adjusting the camber and caster angles when removing the upper control arm. The shims must be replaced in their original position.
- To remove the pivot shaft and bushings from the upper control arm assembly, remove the bushing nuts from the pivot shaft by loosening them alternately, then remove the pivot shaft.
- To install the upper control arm and ball joint assembly, first install the pivot shaft boots to the pivot shaft.
- Fill the internal part of the bushings with grease and screw the bushings into the pivot shaft. Be sure to screw the right-side and the left-side bushings alternately into the pivot shafts carefully avoiding getting grease on the outer face of the bushings. Tighten the nuts to 250 ft. lbs.
- Install the grease fittings and lubricate the parts with grease through the grease fittings.
- Install the ball joint stud through the steering knuckle. Install the castellated nut and tighten it to 75 ft. lbs. and just enough additional torque to install the cotter pin. Use a new cotter pin.
- Mount the upper control arm to the chassis frame and install the shims in their original positions between the pivot shaft and bracket. Tighten the pivot shaft attaching nuts to 55 ft. lbs.
- Install the dust cover.
- Install the wheel assembly and lower the vehicle.