FWD Impulse and Stylus
- Raise the vehicle and support with jackstands. Remove the rear wheels.
- Disconnect and plug the rear brake hose. If equipped with ABS, disconnect the speed sensor.
- Remove the stabilizer bar and bolt from the strut-to-knuckle.
- From inside the vehicle, remove the upper strut tower cover and three mount retaining nuts. Remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Install the strut and retaining bolts.
- Connect the brake hose and bleed the system as outlined in the Brakes section.
- Connect the ABS speed sensor, if so equipped.
- Install the rear wheel and lower the vehicle.
- Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle and place in holding fixture.
- Remove the cap from the upper mount to expose the center nut. DO NOT remove at this time.
- Install an approved MacPherson strut spring compressor to the spring. DO NOT over compress the spring! Compress far enough to release the pressure from the spring seat.
- After compressing the spring, remove the center nut, upper mount, spring seat, rubber and spring.
- Remove the cushion and lower rubber from the strut.
- Check the strut for oil leaks, coil spring for cracks and distortion and upper mount bearing for abnormal noise and defective turning. Replace components if damage is found.
- Install the cushion and lower rubber to the strut.
- Install the spring, rubber, upper mount and center nut after compressing the spring.
- Install the cap to the upper mount to expose the center nut. Remove the spring compressor after releasing the pressure.
- Install the strut assembly to the vehicle.