FWD Impulse and Stylus
- Raise the vehicle and support with jackstands. Remove the rear wheels.
- Disconnect and plug the rear brake hose. If equipped with ABS, disconnect the speed sensor.
- Remove the stabilizer bar and bolt from the strut-to-knuckle.
- From inside the vehicle, remove the upper strut tower cover and three mount retaining nuts. Remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Install the strut and retaining bolts.
- Connect the brake hose and bleed the system as outlined in the Brakes section.
- Connect the ABS speed sensor, if so equipped.
- Install the rear wheel and lower the vehicle.
The MacPherson strut and spring are under extreme pressure! NEVER remove the center strut nut without first installing an approved MacPherson strut spring compressor! Severe personal injury may result if this procedure is not followed correctly!
- Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle and place in holding fixture.
- Remove the cap from the upper mount to expose the center nut. DO NOT remove at this time.
- Install an approved MacPherson strut spring compressor to the spring. DO NOT over compress the spring! Compress far enough to release the pressure from the spring seat.
- After compressing the spring, remove the center nut, upper mount, spring seat, rubber and spring.
- Remove the cushion and lower rubber from the strut.
- Check the strut for oil leaks, coil spring for cracks and distortion and upper mount bearing for abnormal noise and defective turning. Replace components if damage is found.
- Install the cushion and lower rubber to the strut.
- Install the spring, rubber, upper mount and center nut after compressing the spring.
- Install the cap to the upper mount to expose the center nut. Remove the spring compressor after releasing the pressure.
- Install the strut assembly to the vehicle.