Outer Tie Rod Ends
- Raise the vehicle and remove the front wheel.
- Remove the cotter pin and castle nut from the tie rod end. Using a tie rod removal tool, separate the tie rod from the steering knuckle.
- Mark the thread portion of the steering link with tape or paint. Loosen the locknut and remove the tie rod end from the steering link.
- Install the tie rod to the marked position on the threaded steering link. Torque the lock nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Install the tie rod and nut into the knuckle. Torque the nut to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm) and align the cotter pin hole. Install a new cotter pin.
- Install the front wheel and lower the vehicle. Have the front end aligned by a qualified alignment technician.
- Remove the rack and pinion assembly as outlined in this Section.
- Remove the outer tie rod end and steering boot.
- Place the assembly in a soft vise with the rack gear being held in position.
- Straighten the locking washer with a hammer and chisel.
- Use a wrench to remove the inner tie rod and steering link.
- Use a wrench to install the inner tie rod, new lock washer and steering link. Torque to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).
- Stake the new locking washer with a hammer and chisel.
- Install the steering boot and outer tie rod end.
- Install the rack and pinion assembly as outlined in this Section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove cotter pin from the ball studs connecting tie rods-to-intermediate rod and the steering damper. Remove the castellated nuts. Using a ball joint separator tool, separate the parts.
- Remove the nut and lockwasher on ball stud connecting the intermediate rod to idler arm. Using a ball joint separator tool, separate the intermediate rod from the idler arm.
- Remove the intermediate rod with tie rods.
- If the tie rod is replaced, disconnect the intermediate rod from tie rod.
- Make sure the threads on the ball studs and nuts are clean and smooth.
- Install the intermediate rod-to-idler arm and torque the nut to 50 ft. lbs.
- Raise the end of the rod and install it on the pitman arm. Torque the nut to 44 ft. lbs. Tighten the nut just enough to insert cotter pin and install new cotter pin.
- Install intermediate rod to steering damper end. Torque nut to 87 ft. lbs., then, advance nut just enough to insert cotter pin and install new cotter pin.
- Install the tie rods to adapter, torque nut to 44 ft. lbs., then, advance nut just enough to insert cotter pin and install new cotter pin and lubricate tie rod ball studs.