Without SIR (Supplemental Inflatable Restraint)
- Raise the hood and disconnect the battery ground cable.
- On models with the 2-spoke wheel, remove the two screws retaining the horn shroud and disconnect the horn contact.
- On models with the 3-spoke wheel, remove the medallion cover from the center of the wheel by prying lightly around the edge with a small screwdriver.
- On models with padded horn shrouds, use a suitable prybar to unsnap the shroud from the retaining clip.
- Remove the steering wheel nut and washer. Mark the steering wheel and shaft to assure proper positioning later.
- Using a steering wheel puller, remove the steering wheel.
- Align the marks you made earlier and install the wheel, washer and nut.
- Torque the steering wheel nut to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm). Install the horn shroud or center medallion.
Always wear gloves and safety glasses when handling a deployed SIR module and wash your hands with mild soap and water afterwards. The SIR module should always be carried with the urethane cover away from your body and should always be laid on a flat surface with the urethane side up. This is necessary because a free space is provided to allow the air cushion to expand in the unlikely event of accidental deployment. If so, personal injury may result.
- Very Important. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the SIR module retaining screws and disconnect the module/horn wiring.
- Remove the steering wheel fixing nut and washer.
- Using a steering wheel puller J185903 or equivalent, remove the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel and nut.
- Torque the nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Connect the wheel wiring and install the SIR module.
- Connect the negative battery cable.