The transfer case is part of the extension housing assembly. The transmission and transfer case has to be removed as an assembly. Refer to the "Transmission" removal and installation procedures in this Section.OVERHAUL
- Remove the countershaft lockplate, distance piece, and counter shaft assembly.
- From the countershaft, remove the rubber O-ring, thrust washer, counter gear, two sets of needle bearings and thrust washer.
- From the front end of the output shaft, remove the spacer, needle bearings and high/low sleeve.
- From the rear end of the output shaft, remove the locknut.
- Using a press, remove the output shaft bearing.
- Remove the spacer, speedometer drive gear and distance piece.
- Using a press and bearing remover J2291201 or equivalent, remove the middle bearing.
- Remove the thrust washer, output gear, needle bearings and 4x2/4x4 sleeve.
- Onto the output shaft, install the 4x2/4x4 sleeve, needle bearings, output gear and thrust washer with the oil groove facing forward.
- Install the middle bearing using a press.
- Install the distance piece, speedometer drive gear, spacer and end bearing using a press.
- Install the output shaft nut and torque to 116 ft. lbs. (160 Nm).
- Install the output shaft assembly into the case.
- Onto the counter shaft, install the thrust washer, needle bearings, counter gear, needle bearings, thrust washer and a new O-ring.
- Install the countershaft into the case.
- Install the high/low sleeve so the heavy chamfered side is facing forward.
- Into the front of the output shaft, install the needle bearings and spacer.
- Into the transfer case end, install the distance piece and lock plate.