The transfer case is part of the extension housing assembly. The transmission and transfer case has to be removed as an assembly. Refer to the "Transmission" removal and installation procedures in this Section.OVERHAUL
- Remove the rear case assembly.
- Remove the shift arms, interlock pin and detent assemblies. Drive the spring pins out of the rod to remove the shift rod and arms.
- Remove the mainshaft snapring and mainshaft end bearings using a bearings remover J37217 and puller J8433 or their equivalent.
- Remove the mainshaft locknut using wrench J37219 or equivalent and high/low synchronizer assembly with transfer hub using a puller.
- Remove the needle bearings, collar, ball and plate.
- Expand and remove the front output shaft bearing snapring, front output gear assembly and rear bearing snapring.
- Press off the rear output shaft bearing, remove the collar, sub-gear snapring, spacer, Belleville spring and sub-gear from the front output gear.
- Remove the output gear needle bearings, clutch hub, sleeve and press off the front output shaft bearing.
- Remove the counter gear snapring and counter gear assembly.
- Remove the bearing snapring and press off the front and rear counter bearings.
- Remove the spacer, Belleville spring, counter sub-gear and counter gear.
- Cover the output shaft spline with adhesive tape to protect the oil seal. Apply liquid sealer to the transfer case sealing surfaces
- Onto the counter gear, install the sub-gear, Belleville spring, spacer and press on the front and rear bearings. Install the bearing-to-shaft snaprings.
- Onto the front output shaft, install the front bearing, clutch and hub, needle bearings, sub-gear, Belleville spring, spacer, sub-gear snapring, press on rear bearing and install selective snapring.
- Install the output shaft assembly.
- Install the front bearing-to-case snapring.
- Install the transfer plate, ball, bearing collar, needle bearings, transfer input gear, high/low blocker ring, high/low synchronizer assembly, mainshaft locknut and torque to 94 ft. lbs. (130 Nm) using the installer wrench J37219.
- Press on the bearing and install the snapring.