Removal & Installation
- Remove the driveshaft.
- Mark the relationship of the yoke to the driveshaft.
- Mark the relationship of the U-Joint to the yoke.
Remove the U-Joint from the yoke.
NOTEThe following service is to protect the machined portion of the slip yoke.
- Using 2 or 3 clean shop towels, wrap the slip yoke with the towels and secure with electrical ties or electrical tape.
- Remove the retaining nut for the yoke.
- Remove the washer from the yoke.
Remove the yoke from the driveshaft.
NOTEWhen installing the special tool, the aid of an assistant will be required to position the tool between the center bearing and driveshaft shoulder. Ensure that the flat part of the tool is facing center bearing.
Install tool J 44749 (1) to the driveshaft.
- With the aid of an assistant, pull the center bearing toward the spline part of the driveshaft.
- Position the tool (1) between the center bearing and the shield for the center bearing.
Adjust the tool so that it just comes in contact with the shoulder.
NOTEIt will be necessary to adjust the hydraulic press so that the slip yoke does not touch the ground.
- Install the driveshaft in a hydraulic press.
- Position a piece of wood between the floor and the slip yoke.
- Remove the center bearing from the driveshaft.
- Remove the tool from the driveshaft.
Position the center bearing on the driveshaft.
- Install tool J 37372 on the driveshaft.
Using the J 37372, install the center bearing on the driveshaft.
NOTEFailure to align the reference marks properly will cause a vibration the driveshaft.
- Position the yoke on the driveshaft so that the reference marks are aligned properly.
- Using a brass or hard rubber hammer, lightly tap the yoke on the driveshaft.
Install the washer.
NOTETighten the retaining nut by hand before tightening the retaining nut to the proper specifications.
- Install the retaining nut. Tighten the retaining nut to 123 ft. lbs. (167 Nm).
- Align the U-Joint to the reference marks on the driveshaft and yoke.
- Install the U-Joint to the yoke.
- Remove the shop towels from the driveshaft.
- Install the driveshaft in the vehicle.