Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
- On 2.8L engines the left hand balance shaft sprocket timing mark is at the 1:00 o-clock position, the right side sprocket is at the 1:30 position and the crankshaft sprocket is at the 5:30 position. The timing marks should line up with the dark links on the timing chain as shown.
On 3.5L engines the left hand balance shaft sprocket timing mark is at the 12:00 o-clock position, the right side sprocket is at the 2:30 position and the crankshaft sprocket is at the 4:30 position. The timing marks should line up with the dark links on the timing chain as shown.
- Remove the balance shaft chain tensioner.
Remove the balance shaft timing chain.
NOTEIt may be necessary to remove the right balance shaft bolts and rotate the retainer plate counterclockwise to relieve the tension on the chain.
- Rotate the balance shafts to check for free rotation. If the shafts do not turn freely inspect the balance shaft bearings and bearing surface for damage.
- Remove the balance shaft chain guide.
Remove the balance shaft bolts and remove the balance shafts.
- Lubricate the balance shaft bearing journals with clean engine oil.
- Install the balance shafts with the counterweight down to prevent damage to the shaft bearings.
- Install new bolts and tighten the bolts to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install the chain guide and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the balance shaft timing chain and ensure the dark links of the chain are aligned with the sprocket timing marks.
- Using both hands, rotate the timing chain tensioner ratchet release lever clockwise and hold, compress the tensioner shoe and hold, then release the ratchet lever.
- Slowly release the pressure on the shoe until the ratchet lever moves to the first detent and a click is heard.
- Insert a pin into the hole of the release lever to lock the tensioner shoe in the collapsed position.
- With the release lever facing outward, install the chain tensioner and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Remove the pin from the tensioner.
- Double check that the sprocket marks and timing chain dark links are aligned.
- Install the crankshaft rear oil seal housing.
- Install the engine.