Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the fuel tank into an approved container.
- Raise and support the rear of the vehicle.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Left rear tire
- Support the fuel tank.
- Remove the lower tank retaining strap and lower the fuel tank.
- Disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel pump module.
- Using tool J-39765, rotate the fuel pump cam locking ring counterclockwise and remove the ring.
- Raise the fuel pump and tilt it back to allow the fuel level sensor and float to clear the opening.
Remove and discard the fuel pump seal.
- Install a new seal on the fuel pump.
- Tilt the fuel pump until the fuel level sensor and float can enter the opening.
- Lower the fuel pump and align the tang on the pump with the notch in the opening.
- Using tool J-39765, rotate the fuel pump cam locking ring clockwise until fully seated.
- Reconnect the fuel lines to the fuel pump module.
- Raise the fuel tank and install the lower tank retaining strap.
Install or connect the following:
Upper fuel tank retaining strap and tighten both strap bolts to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm)
- Lower the vehicle.
- Fill the tank with gasoline.
- Turn the ignition ON for 10 seconds and then turn it OFF for 10 seconds. Again turn the ignition ON and check for leaks.