- Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
- Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Refer to disabling and enabling Zone 3.
- Lock the steering column through the access hole in the lower steering column trim cover using Steering Column Anti-Rotation Pin J-42640.
- Remove the inflator module by performing the following:
Using a blunt-ended tool, push the leaf spring fasteners (1) inward through the access holes.
- Lift and partially remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module from the steering wheel in order to expose the electrical connectors.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors (1).
Disconnect the horn electrical connector (3).
NOTEDo not attempt to repair the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. The inflatable restraint steering wheel module is replaced only as an assembly.
- Remove the inflatable restraint module from the steering wheel.
- Fully deploy the module before disposal. If the module was replaced under warranty, fully deploy and dispose of the module after the required retention period.
- Position the inflatable restraint module to the steering wheel.
- Connect the electrical connectors to the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- Connect the horn electrical connector.
- Position the 4 alignment posts of the inflatable restraint module to the holes that are located on the steering wheel housing.
- Push the inflatable restraint module into the steering wheel to engage and latch the leaf spring fasteners.
- After installation, pull up on the sides of the inflatable restraint module to ensure the leaf spring fasteners are engaged.
- Enable the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.