Fluorescent Dye Leak Detection
The air conditioning (A/C) system has an R-134a leak trace dye wafer incorporated into the desiccant bag. The exact location of leaks can be pinpointed by the bright yellow/green glow of the tracer dye. Since more than one leak may exist, always inspect each component. If it is necessary to add dye (due to a severe leakage for example) use proprietary tracer dye injection equipment.
- Check for leaks using ultraviolet (UV) lamp.
- Check all components, fittings and lines of the A/C system.
- Carry out the repair.
- After the leak is repaired, remove any traces of leak trace dye with a general purpose oil solvent.
- Check the A/C system for correct operation.
- Verify the repair by operating the system for a short time and inspecting with the (UV) lamp.