REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Refer to the Intake Manifold procedure, earlier in this section.F-HEAD MODEL
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the air delivery hose from the air injection tube assembly if the engine is so equipped. If not, proceed to Step 2.
- Remove the five nuts from the manifold studs.
- Pull the manifold from the mounting studs. Be careful not to damage the air injection tubes if the engine is equipped with an air pump.
- Remove the gaskets from the cylinder block.
- If the exhaust manifold is to be replaced it will be necessary to remove the air injection tubes from the exhaust manifold. The application of heat may be necessary to aid removal.
- Use new gaskets when replacing the exhaust manifold. Make sure that the cylinder head are clean. Tighten the attaching nuts to the correct torque specification.
- If the exhaust manifold was be replaced, install the air injection tubes. The application of heat may be necessary to aid installation.
- Install the air delivery hose on the air injection tube assembly if the engine is so equipped.
See Figure 3
- Remove the five attaching screws, one nut, and exhaust manifold from the side of the cylinder head.
- Use a new gasket when replacing the exhaust manifolds. Make sure that the mating surfaces of the manifold and the cylinder head are clean. Tighten the manifold nuts and bolts to the correct torque value.
The exhaust manifold is removed as an assembly with the intake manifold. See the appropriate intake manifold procedure, located earlier in this section.6-230 Engine
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the manifold.
- Remove the ten nuts, eight flat washers and two retainers that attach the manifold to the head.
- Lift off the manifold and remove and discard the gasket.
- Clean the mating surfaces thoroughly and install the manifold, using a new gasket. Tighten the nuts to 35-40 ft. lbs. (48-54 Nm).
- Attach the exhaust pipe.