2WD Utility models were offered with an optional Warner R10B planetary overdrive unit. The unit is electrically engaged at the discretion of the driver. It provides a reduction of about 30%.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Because the unit is essentially a 4th gear, removal is the same as disassembly.
- Raise and safely support the front end on jackstands.
- Drain both the transmission and overdrive housings.
- Remove the two solenoid attaching bolts. Turn the solenoid 1 / 4 turn to the right and pull it out of the unit.
- Unbolt and remove the overdrive rail switch.
This switch was used only on vehicles with 4-134 engines up to and including vehicle serial Nos. 54747-10084 and 54874-10096.
- Remove the governor from the right side.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable.
- Unbolt and remove the transmission cover from the housing.
- Shift the transmission into 1st gear.
- Place transmission mainshaft retaining plate tool W-194 on the rear of the 1st/reverse sliding gear. Attach the tool with two of the cover bolts. If the tool is not available, loop a piece of wire around the mainshaft, just behind the gear and secure the wire to two of the front cover bolts.
- Remove the nut attaching the companion flange to the overdrive mainshaft. Hold the flange with a holding tool, if necessary.
- Remove the companion flange, using a puller, if necessary.
- Using a punch, drive the overdrive control shaft tapered pin out, from the bottom.
- Pull out the control shaft to disengage the shaft rail.
- Remove the bolts attaching the overdrive housing and adapter to the transmission.
- Pull the overdrive housing rearward, while, at the same time, pushing forward on the overdrive mainshaft to prevent the mainshaft from coming off with the housing.
- Slide the overdrive housing into place, while holding the mainshaft.
- Install the bolts attaching the overdrive housing and adapter to the transmission. Tighten them to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Push in the control shaft to engage the shaft rail.
- Drive the overdrive control shaft tapered pin into place from the top.
- Install the companion flange.
- Install the nut attaching the companion flange to the overdrive mainshaft. Hold the flange with a holding tool, if necessary. Tighten the nut to 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm).
- Remove transmission mainshaft retaining plate tool W-194 or the wire.
- Install the transmission cover.
- Connect the speedometer cable.
- Install the governor.
- If applicable, install the overdrive rail switch.
- Push the solenoid into the unit and turn it 1 / 4 turn to the left. Install the two solenoid attaching bolts.
- Fill both the transmission and overdrive housings.
- Lower the front end.