REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The standard 6-splined 1 3 / 8 in. (34.93mm) diameter output shaft is driven through two helical cut gears mounted in a housing attached to the vehicle at the center of the frame rear crossmember.
- Disconnect the rear U-joint at the companion flange.
- Remove the retaining screw and the flange.
- Unbolt and remove the assembly from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
DISASSEMBLY & ASSEMBLY
- Drain the oil from the unit.
- Remove the rear bearing cover.
- Remove the nut and lockwasher from the input shaft.
- Unbolt and remove the input shaft bearing retainer and remove the bearing. Take care not to lose the shims between the gear and the bearing case.
- Remove the bearing cone, cup and snapring.
- Remove the oil seal retainer and pilot assembly.
- Press the shaft through the housing, removing the bearing cone, oil seal and retainer as an assembly.
- Remove the input shaft gear through the rear opening. Push out the bearing cup and remove the snapring. Remove the bearing cone and oil seal from the shaft.
- Remove the output shaft in the same manner as the input shaft.
- Adjustment of the tapered roller bearings on both shafts is accomplished by shim packs placed between the gear hubs and bearing cones.
- Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Fill the unit with 90W gear oil.