REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the vehicle and safely support it on jackstands.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Place an indexing mark on the rear yoke and driveshaft, and disconnect the shaft.
- Disconnect the shock absorbers from the axle tubes. Disconnect the track bar at the axle bracket, on vehicles so equipped.
- Disconnect the brake hose from the tee fitting on the axle housing. Disconnect the vent tube at the axle.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable at the frame mounting.
- Remove the U-bolts. On vehicles with the spring mounted above the axle, disconnect the spring at the rear shackle.
- Support the axle on a jack, remove the spring clips, and remove the axle assembly from under the vehicle.
- Raise the axle on a jack and install the spring clips. Tighten the spring pivot bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm) on CJ-2A, CJ-3A, CJ-3B and Utility models, or to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm) on CJ-5 and CJ-6 models. On CJ-5 and CJ-6 models also tighten the spring shackle nuts to 24 ft. lbs. (33 Nm).
Install the U-bolts. On vehicles with the spring mounted above the axle, connect the spring at the rear shackle. Tighten the U-bolt nuts to the following values:
7 / 16 in. U-bolts-55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm)
- Connect the parking brake cable at the frame mounting.
- Connect the brake hose at the tee fitting on the axle housing.
- Connect the vent tube at the axle.
- Connect the track bar at the axle bracket, on vehicles so equipped.
- Connect the shock absorbers to the axle tubes. Tighten the shock stud nut to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Connect the driveshaft.
- Install the rear wheels.
- Lower the vehicle.
Bleed and adjust the brakes accordingly.