Early 4-134 and All 6-226
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
Most of these engines have a fuel pump with a bowl containing a replaceable filter element. Some have only a mesh strainer in the fuel pump.Late 4-134, 6-225 and 6-230
See Figure 5
All these engines have a throwaway cartridge filter in the line between the fuel pump and the carburetor. To replace it:
- Remove the air cleaner as necessary.
- Put an absorbent rag under the filter to catch spillage.
- Remove the hose clamps.
- Remove the filter and short attaching hoses.
- Remove the hoses if they are to be reused.
- Assemble the new filter and hoses.
The original equipment wire hose clamps should be replaced with screw type band clamps for the best results.
- Install the filter, tighten the clamps, start the engine, and check for leaks. Discard the rag and old filter safely.