REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1945-70 Jeep vehicles, except for Utility models, have no windshield wiper linkage.Utility Models
These vehicles employ a cable system to actuate the wiper arms.
- Release the tension on the cable by loosening the tension attaching nut.
- Disengage the ferrule at the end of the cable from the wiper arm and remove the cable.
- The cable is installed by engaging the ferrule in the slot in the wiper arm and passing the cable through the slot.
Once the cable is installed, adjust it as follows:
- Be sure that the tensioner attaching bolts are tight. The left and right tensioners are not interchangeable.
- Loosen, but do not remove the tensioner locknut on the bracket.
- When the locknuts are loosened, the tensioners should, automatically, take up the cable slack. It may be necessary to tap the stud to free the tensioner locknut. In some cases, it may help to pry the bracket outwards to get the tensioners to take up the slack.
- Tighten the locknuts firmly. If there is still slack, proceed to Step 4e.
- Using a file, elongate the holes in the tensioner bracket, toward the center of the vehicle, an additional 1 / 16 in. (1.6mm). This should provide enough tensioner movement.
- If slack is still present, replace the cables.