REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise and support the truck on jackstands.
- Disconnect the hydraulic line at the cylinder. Cap the line.
- Unbolt and remove the slave cylinder from the clutch housing.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque the mounting bolts to 16 ft. lbs. Refill and bleed the system.
- Remove the cover and reservoir cap.
- Remove and discard the dust boot from the pushrod.
- Remove the pushrod seal.
- Remove and discard the pushrod retaining snapring.
- Remove the pushrod, washer and seal. Discard the seal.
- Remove the plunger, valve spring and stem. It may be necessary to tap the assembly out of the bore with a rubber mallet.
- Compress the valve spring enough to pry off the retainer and remove the spring and stem assembly from the plunger. The retainer tab should be pried upward with a thin screwdriver.
- Remove the seal from the plunger and discard it.
- Remove the spring retainer and valve stem from the spring.
- Remove the valve stem from the retainer and remove the spring washer and stem tip seal from the end of the valve stem. Discard the stem tip seal and the spring washer.
- Clean all parts thoroughly in a safe brake cleaning solvent. Discard any parts that show signs of wear, pitting or damage. If the core shows signs of excessive wear, deep pitting, severe corrosion or scoring, replace the entire master cylinder. Minor bore imperfections can be corrected by honing.
- Lubricate the bore with clean brake fluid.
- Position the new seals on the plunger and valve stem. Make sure that the lip of the plunger seal faces the stem end of the plunger. The should of the stem tip seal should fit into the undercut at the end of the valve stem.
- Install the new spring washer on the stem.
- Install the new plastic spring retainer on the stem and over the spring washer. The large end of the retainer faces the end of the stem.
- Install the valve spring over the stem and the seat spring on the valve stem retainer.
- Install the assembled valves spring, the retainer and the stem assembly on the plunger.
- Compress the spring against the plunger. When the end of the stem passes through the valve stem retainer and seats in the small bore in the end of the plunger, bend the retainer tab on the valve stem retainer downward to lock the stem and retainer on the plunger.
- Lubricate the spring and plunger assembly with clean brake fluid and insert the assembly, spring end first, into the bore.
- Install the new seal and dust boot on the pushrod.
- Lubricate the ball end of the pushrod and the lip of the seal and dust boot with clean brake fluid, or the lubricant supplied in the overhaul kit.
- Insert the pushrod and retaining washer into the bore.
- Install the new snapring. Properly position the seal and dust boot.