See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Do not attempt to remove the buzzer switch and clip separately. The clip will probably fall into the column jacket.
- Disconnect the battery ground.
- Cover the painted areas of the column.
- Remove the column-to-dash bezel.
- Loosen the toe plate screws.
- With tilt columns, place the column in the non-tilt position.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the lock plate cover.
Compress the lock plate and unseat the steering shaft snapring as follows:
- Check the steering shaft nut threads. Metric threads have an identifying groove in the steering wheel splines. SAE threads do not.
- With SAE threads use a compressor tool such as tool J-23653 to compress the lock plate and remove the snapring.
- If the shaft has metric threads, replace the forcing screw in the compressor with metric forcing screw J-23653-4 before using.
- Remove the compressor and snapring.
- Remove the lock plate, canceling cam and upper bearing preload spring.
- Place the turn signal lever in the right turn position and remove the lever.
- Remove the hazard warning knob. Press the knob inward and turn counterclockwise to remove it.
- Remove the wiring harness protectors.
- Disconnect the wiring harness connectors.
- Remove the turn signal switch attaching screws and lift out the switch.
- Unplug the cruise control switch connector.
- Pull the control harness from the column.
Insert the key. Position the key as follows.
1976-83: With manual transmission, put it in the ON position; with automatic, put it in OFF/LOCK.
- Remove the key warning buzzer switch and retaining clip with a paper clip inserted below the retainer to flatten the retainer.
- Working through the slot next to the turn signal switch mounting boss, use a thin screwdriver to release the lock cylinder.
- Remove the screws that attach the housing and ground assembly and remove them.
Be careful to avoid dropping the dimmer switch rod, lock pin or lock rack.
- Remove the turn signal/wiper lever.
- Remove the wiper switch cover from the back of the housing.
- Remove the pivot screw from the housing and remove the wiper switch.
- Install a new switch and cover.
- Push on the dimmer switch rod to make sure it's connected, then carefully position the housing on the column.
- Install the housing and shroud screws.
- Insert the key in the new lock cylinder. Hold the sleeve and turn the key clockwise until it stops. Align the cylinder retaining tab with the housing slot and insert the cylinder. Push the cylinder in, rotate to engage, then push in until the retaining tab engages the housing groove.
- Install the turn signal switch and attaching screws. Torque the screws to 35 inch lbs.
- Connect the wiring harness connectors.
- Install the wiring harness protectors.
- With the turn signal switch in the neutral position, install the hazard warning knob. Press the knob inward and turn clockwise to install it.
- Install the lever. Torque the attaching screws to 35 inch lbs.
- Install the upper bearing preload spring.
- Install the canceling cam.
- Install the lock plate.
- Using the compressor, install the snapring.
- Install the lock plate cover.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Loosen the toe plate screws.
- Install the column-to-dash bezel.
- Connect the battery ground.