REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 11971 Models
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Place the wheels in a straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the connecting rod and tire rod from the bellcrank.
- Remove the bellcrank-to-support bracket nut and washers.
- Remove the bellcrank from the support bracket. It may be necessary to drive it out of the bracket with a soft drift.
- To disassemble the bellcrank, drive out the pin and remove the parts. Service kits are available for rebuilding the bellcrank.
- When assembling the parts, make sure that the new bearings in the bellcrank are installed 1 / 8 in. (3mm) below the surface of the bellcrank face. When installing the washers, make sure that the chamfer on the washers face the bellcrank.
- After assembling the parts, install the bellcrank in the Jeep, but don't connect the linkage. Torque the bellcrank pin nut to 14-19 ft. lbs.
- Loosen the 7 / 16 in. clamp bolt and adjust the locknut on the end of the bellcrank shaft until the bellcrank just rotates freely, without binding.
- Torque the 7 / 16 in. clamp nut to 50-70 ft. lbs.
- Connect the tie rod to the bellcrank and torque the nut to 38-45 ft. lbs.
- Connect the connecting rod to the bellcrank and adjust is as explained above.