- Remove the ignition switch.
- Put the key in the lock and turn it to the ON position.
- Insert a heavy paper clip wire or something similar through the release hole in the side of the switch. Push in the retaining ring until the lock cylinder can be pulled out.
- To install the new lock cylinder, line up the tang on the cylinder with the slot in the case and push the cylinder in.
- Replace the switch.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Remove the turn signal switch as described earlier in this section. You don't have to remove the switch completely, just set it aside.
Insert the key. Position the key as follows.
1976-83: With manual transmission, put it in the ON position; with automatic, put it in OFF/LOCK.
- Working through the slot next to the turn signal switch mounting boss, use a thin screwdriver to release the lock cylinder.
- To install, insert the key in the new lock cylinder. Hold the sleeve and turn the key clockwise until it stops. Align the cylinder retaining tab with the housing slot and insert the cylinder. Push the cylinder in, rotate to engage, then push in until the retaining tab engages the housing groove.
- Complete the procedure in the reverse of removal.