REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 121971
- Remove the windshield wiper assembly from the pivot shaft.
- Remove the vacuum hose or wire from the motor.
- Remove all attaching screws that hold the motor to the windshield assembly and remove the motor from the vehicle.
- Install in the reverse order.
- Remove the crash pad, if any. Remove the extreme left plastic hole plug from the bottom of the windshield frame air duct and disconnect the drive link from the motor crank.
- Loosen the wiper control knob setscrew.
- Remove the control switch and mark the location of the wires on the switch prior to removing them from the switch.
- Remove the motor cover and the motor.
- Install in the reverse order of the above procedure.
The motor cover must be sealed when installing.1976-86
- If your Jeep has crash padding, you have to fold the windshield down for access. Even if you don't have the padding, you can't get the wires out to remove the motor from the vehicle, unless the windshield is down.
- Remove the hard or soft top at the windshield frame.
- Remove the windshield holddown bolts and fold the windshield forward.
- Remove the wiper motor mounting screws.
- Remove the harness clips.
- Remove the left most access cover at the base of the windshield. Disconnect the drive link from the left wiper pivot by prying the clip off.
- Grasp the motor and pull the drive arm out of the access hole.
- Pry the drive arm off of the motor pivot.
- Remove the motor.
- Install and connect the wiring harness.
- Install the drive arm on the motor pivot.
- Install the motor.
- Connect the drive link at the left wiper pivot.
- Install the harness clips.
- Install the wiper motor mounting screws. Torque the screws to 96 inch lbs. Install the cover at the base of the windshield
- Raise the windshield into position and install the holddown bolts.
- Install the hard or soft top at the windshield frame.