ADJUSTMENT AND REPLACEMENT
1966-73 Jeepster/Commando and 1970-79 Wagoneer, Cherokee, J-Series Truck
See Figure 1
- Apply the parking brake.
- Make sure that all linkage is properly adjusted.
- Remove the Neutral Switch from the steering column.
- Place the selector lever in PARK and lock the steering column.
- Move the switch actuating lever until it is aligned with the letter P on the back of the switch.
- Insert a 3 / 32 " drill bit in the hole located below the letter N stamped on the back of the switch.
- Move the switch actuating lever until it stops against the drill bit.
- Position the switch on the column, tighten the screws and remove the drill bit.
- Check switch operation. The engine should start only in NEUTRAL and PARK. The back-up lights should operate only in REVERSE.
1962-69 Wagoneer and J-Series Truck
and all 1980-83 Models
See Figure 2
The neutral start switch on all units is non-adjustable. If the truck starts in any position other than PARK or NEUTRAL, and the linkage adjustment is correct, the switch must be replaced. To replace the switch, simply unbolt it from the transmission, disconnect the wires and install a new switch.