REMOVAL & INSTALLATION All Engines
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the inlet and outlet fuel lines.
- Remove the fuel pump body attaching nuts and lockwashers.
- Pull the pump and gasket or O-ring free of the engine. Make sure that the mating surfaces of the fuel pump and the engine are clean.
- Cement a new gasket to the mounting flange of the fuel pump.
- Position the fuel pump on the engine block so that the lever of the fuel pump rests on the fuel pump cam of the camshaft.
- Secure the fuel pump to the block with the capscrews and lockwashers.
- Connect the fuel lines to the fuel pump.
FUEL PUMP TESTING Volume Check
Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor. Place the open end in a one quart metal can. Start the engine and operate it at a normal idle speed. The pump should deliver at least one quart in one minute.
Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor. Install a T-fitting on the open end of the fuel line and refit the line to the carburetor. Plug a pressure gauge into the remaining opening of the T-fitting. The hose leading to the pressure gauge should not be any longer than 6 inches. On pumps with a fuel return line, the line must be plugged. Start the engine. Fuel pressures are as follows: