See Figure 1
Some precautions should be taken when working on this, or any other, AC charging system.
- Never switch battery polarity.
- When installing a battery, always connect the grounded terminal first.
- Never disconnect the battery while the engine is running.
- If the molded connector is disconnected from the alternator, never ground the hot wire.
- Never run the alternator with the main output cable disconnected.
- Never electric weld around the truck without disconnecting the alternator.
- Never apply any voltage in excess of battery voltage while testing.
- Never jump a battery for starting purposes with more than 12v.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the battery ground.
- Remove and tag all alternator wiring.
- Remove the adjusting bolt, loosen the mounting bolts and remove the belt.
- Support the alternator with your hand and remove the mounting bolts. Lift the alternator out.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Make sure that the belt is properly tensioned. A 1 / 2 inch deflection of the belt at the mid-point of its longest straight run indicates proper belt tension.
Never pry on the alternator housing to apply belt tension! The housing is aluminum and will easily be damaged!